tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Sunday, October 6, 2013

College life in pics


Lunch date with friend. 
How's tricks. Since when is it October? How's college you say? Well it's going fairly okay, minus the stress from classes and the bruises and soreness from taekwondo. Late this month I am inevitably competing in a tourney at MIT. Our black belt team consists of three, all of them which are named Sean. Hence the Sean trio, which is actually pretty cool.

Now the taekwondo club consists of mostly undergrads, some with prior experience or none at all. Below are photos of five of the many neophyte practitioners posing in their crackling new doboks.


They later on photoshopped this photo
to paint their belts black... 
One of the disadvantages of living off campus is the need to take the bus every time I commute. This isn't NYC, where there are options to take a subway or hail a yellow cab that literally makes up most of the city's road population.

Last weekend I missed the last bus both nights and I ended up sleeping over at a friend's place, sandwiched on the bed with two women, jeans as my pajamas.

At this point the bus drivers probably recognize me by my face.

The other day my friend and I went to the mall to get a haircut. It was a weekday just before noon thus it was pretty deserted. I was worried at first whether or not I would not get the cut I preferred, but I showed the brunette barber in heels a picture of a style I intended to get and in ten minutes it was done. My friend got his, seeming dissatisfied, however. The back seemed more short than the sides, which did not look terribly bad.

"I need to get it like yours next time," he said.
"Just bring in a picture of a style you like," I said. "It's not a bad cut."
"You know to be honest you look kind of the same."
"This ain't no plastic surgery."

Also, I accidentally kind of joined an acapella group on campus. The first thing we complained about was the fact that the club met on a Friday night. But later on we didn't mind. A friend's friend dragged us along to the general interest meeting and we all had to eventually test our voices and find out where our ranges were. The president, a reserved, yet passionate piano aficionado told me to sing a couple scales. This whole thing was totally unexpected and I kept on asking myself how did I get here. While I didn't mind singing in the shower, singing, in general, was not really my forte. Eventually, I was a tenor. At this point, blurting point blank that I'd like to quit seemed rude. For now, you can say I'm unofficially in the group. Plus if they need a beatboxer I can certainly do something.The second meeting because my friends were going I went as well. We practiced in a large empty lecture hall, two hundred something seats all unoccupied as the twenty of us sat on the stage. We went over some tongue twisters, sung aloud Green Day's Time of Your Life, and mingled. Afterwards, it was a weekend full of parties.




Now the haircut, although hard to tell, is like this.

 





Mornings usually consist of a copy of the NY Times and some sort of food. 

No comments: