tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Thursday, January 5, 2017

2017 made its way as the holidays slowly waned. Christmas trees that were once placed in warm living rooms adorned with ornaments were now piled up and littered in the cold streets as if they bore no meaning anymore, ready to be shredded. Be that as it may, several stores still had their holiday decorations up to cherish the remaining days of this wonderful time.

Looking back, 2016 was not half bad. The year I graduated. The year I started wearing glasses. The year I had the best time in my college career, where I partied hard, made new friends, studied abroad to Korea, and even found a lover and we're still going strong. It was a great year. I pushed myself in that year, and I plan to continue to challenge myself in 2017. Here's to many more fun adventures in 2017.


My girlfriend was off to Cancun for a few days with her friend, and I sent her off at the airport. Planespotting was a hobby of mine, but I couldn't really observe as many that time. I headed back to my work location, sat at a Starbucks, and read a paperback. It was a gloomy, rainy windy day. Come five hours in the air and she was in a heavenly world of sunshine. I imagined her bathing in the sun, capturing the sea breeze. It couldn't get any better for her. Without her, my reality began to spiral in odd ways.

My work proceeded in the usual form, nothing remarkable. Nothing exciting. My mind was always drifting somewhere else. It's amazing how I could interact with customers when my thoughts were elsewhere. Though on occasions I'd see the most random people I knew. One time my mother's friend who I haven't seen in years recognized me as I ringed her up during check-out, and today I saw my friend I worked with five years ago. For reasons unknown, I'd meet people I haven't seen in years.

After work though, something happened. One of my coworkers sped out the door and started crying. Walking outside in the darkness, I was right behind her. I had the urge to ask her if she's okay, but I couldn't get the courage to do so. I felt she wanted to be left alone, so that's what I did.

The next day, a man with a ski mask came in the store, wobbling his way toward me. I was manning the cashier that hour, and mentally prepared myself if anything happened. Eventually he stated that all his possessions have been stolen and he'd need to start from the bottom. He asked for a sample product, and we decided to let him have it. Manager took care of the rest.

What's more, there was a frequent customer I always seemed to notice. He would come in, browse around, and purchase an item in a swift, calm manner. Nobody probably noticed him except me, and he probably didn't notice me one bit, but I've come to notice his presence whenever he showed up to the store. Seeing him helped me come to realize that reality was operating, and time was ticking in normal fashion. It was part of a routine in my work; if I didn't see him visit the store once in a while, something was wrong.




No comments: