tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Kinship Feelings, From a Sibling-less Kid's Perspective

Many people with siblings constantly bring up the mere idea that their sibling(s), whether older or younger, are, but not limited to being annoying, unintelligent, mean, and abusive. I have heard from various friends that their own siblings can sometimes throw them off and literally grind their gears to the absolute max. Of course there are certain drawbacks that people with siblings face that I feel lucky I do not have to deal with, such as sharing, and getting less attention from family members. If you are, say, the third child in your family, you have to deal with sharing the PS3 with your other two siblings whilst an only child can have it all to his or herself. If you are the middle child, you are sandwiched in, as you are neither the youngest nor the oldest, thus you have the tendency to feel trapped. Let's say you meet your neighbor and your parents introduce you to your two siblings. Generally, they will remember the youngest because he or she is the youngest, and the oldest, because he or she is simply, yes, the oldest. The middle man is a position where you would sometimes feel isolated and forgotten, I think.

As an only child, I do feel that I am much more calm, as there is not really any competition. In fact there is no need for competition. Only childs typically do not need to think about who has a better haircut or wardrobe or who is smarter. We only childs go by our own pace as peaceful as a bird gracefully flapping its wings and soaring through the cloudless sky. 

But then again, there are certain times I feel that I want a sibling. That life would be a tad better with a sibling. Personally I feel I would be more outgoing and aggressive if I had a sibling. Sure I've got friends, but the kinship feeling is not the same. In the long run you are always with your siblings. Family outings, traditions, and rituals, you all celebrate together until eternity. On the other hand, friends are friends; you don't live with them. You can't really have personal family related conversations with your friends. You can, but it's just not the same. I sometimes feel lonely that I am the only child in the family. Sometimes I feel that I am on my own, whereas, if I had a sibling, I might feel that I got a partner; a sidekick that reinforces the idea that I got someone I could always consult whenever I do not feel like talking to mom or dad or anyone else. If your parents got into a fight, you could always spend some time with them, whilst, an only child would just have to deal with the tension usually on their own. 

But being an only child is at the same time a privilege. I was born this way and am proud of it. 



No comments: