tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The moment

I quickly grabbed my jacket from my locker and nervously walked outside to the townhouse next door. I knew that I did not have time to grab some lunch, so I was hungry at that time. I approached the front door of the townhouse. The entrance was locked, and the only way to get in was to use the intercom, which I did not know how to activate. My heart pounded even more. Fortunately, a well known teacher of mine was inside the house, and nicely opened the door for me. She told me that the office was upstairs, so I thanked her and went up. My heart would have been beating faster, but she calmed me down as I arrived at the second floor. I quickly saw a huge, president-like office. In the office was the head of the school having a meeting with the upper school director, whom I loathe, deeply. I looked away, shyly as I walked toward the receptionist who told me to sit down in the hall and wait for their meeting to be over. It felt like a doctor's appointment. My heart beating, nervous; the smell; the atmosphere; the magazines purposely displayed neatly; the silence.
The meeting continued for quite a long time. When the upper school director walked away, I knew that my heart was beating faster, because it was my turn to have the meeting, and it was at this moment. The head of school, Steve, stood in front of his door with his hands in his pockets.
"howdy!" he said joyfully.
Mahogany colored interior; huge comfortable-looking desk chair; portraits of past senior pictures in a row; rich plants; a vast collection of books. It looked like the White House. Well, he is the head of the school. I was nervous. I couldn't even talk as fluent, when he immediately told me:
"Do you know why you're here right now?"
"Well, since I'm a junior now and close to going to college, I thought you'd ask me about my future." I said nervously.
"nah, that's part of it" he said. "You're just here so I can get to know you a little bit more."
I felt somewhat relaxed. During the meeting, there were some questions he asked that stumbled me, but went pretty well, nonetheless. The one question that he asked that will always remain in my mind:
"what do you think you would do with your life?"
I don't know. Life is unpredictable. What would you do?

No comments: