tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Thursday, December 17, 2015

Mutual Circles

It was a chilly evening. I rode the bus to the mall. Save for the young couple in the front and another lady sitting across from me, the bus was rather empty. I stared at the nighttime passing scenery. A row of red taillights followed the road. For some reason, I didn't have the urge to listen to music. While listening to the monotonous bus engine murmur and the bus driver announcing the stops, I thought about what I could do in the remaining few days I was here before break. 

 I went to the drug store to purchase some cosmetics and the department store to window shop. It was an hour before closing but there was still a reasonable number of people roaming around. I thought about making a pit stop to a bar, but hell I couldn't spend money like that. 

"Free sample?" the lady asked me when I passed the food court. A piece of chicken stabbed with a toothpick. I passed. 

I made my way to a body lotion store. One of my friends happened to work here so I figured why not make a visit. She was there carrying a box on her shoulder, hard at work. Holiday songs were serenading through the ceiling speakers. 

"Whatcha looking for?" she said. 

"A present for mom." 

"Good son you are," she said, putting the box down. "What kind of flavor does she like?"

I thought about it for a while. "I guess anything that's fruity." 

"Fruity... fruity," she roamed around the floor at guided me to one section. "Our newest. Holiday edition."

I sampled one. Pretty citrusy. She would like it, I thought. 

"We have the spray or the body cream. Might as well take both."

"Done." 

"Anything else you need?" 

"I'm good," I said. "When are you here until?"

"7:30 ish," she said. "Long day."

"You're doing well."

Once I paid, I made my way back to the bus station. The weather got chillier. Once the bus arrived, I heard someone call my name. It was a familiar voice and a familiar tone. I looked back and it was nobody other than my crush, who was with her friend. Just yesterday we agreed that we were nothing more than friends. What were the odds of bumping into her tonight. I sighed to myself and my hand began to lightly shake. 

"What did you buy?" she said. 

"Lotion."

"Lotion?" she dipped her head to one side in wonder. 

We went on the bus, and there I was, blank. I had a feeling I was going to see her somewhere tonight, and I was right. Somehow we both saw each other and found ourselves coming back from the mall. 

"How was your day?" I asked. 

"Boring. Woke up at 1, slept, worked out, went to the dining hall, and came to the mall."

"You buy anything?"

"Nope," she smiled. 

Her friend, however, was carrying a few shopping bags and was on the phone speaking in Korean. 

"Did you eat?" she asked. 

"Nope. Hungry as could be."

"Do you want rice?" 

"I'm good, thank you."

"You can mix it with ramen."


We went back to our rooms, and I took a shower. 

I looked out the window for the longest time, staring at nothing in particular. Norah Jones lulled me to sleep. 

No comments: