tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Murakami's A Wild Sheep Chase

I've recently just finished reading A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami. I enjoyed it, but not as much as The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Wild Sheep, in a good way, flows much quicker and seems really brief, whereas Wind-Up Bird goes much slower. Both have similar themes, and occurrences, but the plot is completely different.

His mysterious and powerful writing truly grips the reader and sends him/her off into a different world-- Murakami world, per se. This world makes the person think differently. I'll show you an example.

Here is an example of something that actually happened:

Grabbing the handrail for support, I stepped into the cable car and sat down on one of the seats inside. More and more tourists and locals filled the car as they sat down on the seats just like me. A series of undifferentiated chattering. I looked at some of the people. Most were talking, a few looked confused, and very few were sleeping. I continued to look around as I saw an elderly woman sitting next to me. Around her late 60's early 70's. I might be wrong. But she looked a bit old. She was your typical local residing in a mediocre neighborhood in San Francisco. She wasn't REALLY properly dressed. But I looked at her arm and saw an expensive looking diamond watch. This watch was an expensive one. A REAL expensive one. It's peculiar how this woman is able to own one of these watches. The only question is... IS it real, or fake? It looked real. THAT is the question.

Now here is an example of the Murakami-esque/Murakami World version:

I sat down as the woman next to me wore one of the most expensive looking watches in the world. Citizen. Diamonds adorned around the frame, stainless steel exterior, sterling hands. It shined the whole car, reflecting every spirit in the heavenly atmosphere that I could almost touch it and grab it out of my hand. I continued to ride the cable car that was enroute to the Wharf.

I got off the car and walked to Pier 39. I stayed there until the evening when the tides were the strongest. I looked up at the sky and saw the stars glimmering all over the dark, royal blue sky. I continued to stare up in the sky for so long that the stars were now inside me. The stars controlled me, and I controlled the stars. I then looked around the bay, Alcatraz coming into view and the Bay Bridge stiff. I felt something on my arm. I scratched it but it didn't go away. It must've been a fly. I slapped my arm but it still didn't go away. So I rolled up my sleeves and that same diamond watch was on my arm.

No comments: