tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Sunday, August 18, 2013

8/16 kind of day 8/17 kind of morning


My longtime music instructor today was performing in the park and I thought I'd drop by and say hello. He played various jazz melodies on the piano, great music that flowed throughout the crowded park filled with businessmen on lunch break, couples embracing, attractive women with their skirts and shorts with shopping bags hung on their arms, and middle aged locals reading the paper and having a joe. It was lively. 

At first he couldn't recognize me. Glad I've matured at least a little bit.
"Feels like you went somewhere and really experienced and learned a lot," he said, glancing at my attire. "You look different in a good way."
"Thanks," I laughed. 

We talked about what a teacher and a student who haven't seen each other for a year would talk about. How's school, when's school, how's life. Then he thanked me for coming and we shook hands. 
"See you around."

I went around town and the hour was noon. This meant that workers were out and about from their office buildings and were roaming the streets however rushed, for some grub. You had to blend in with the pedestrian traffic in order to walk on the sidewalks. Sudden halts and walking in a pace below the unwritten speed limit would cost you a few curses and infuriation from businessmen and women alike. They just keep on walking, not phased by the wondrous sights of the block. That's noontime for you in the city. 

I went to a bookstore to catch my eyes on books but nothing really caught my fancy. I looked for a specific book but seeing that they didn't have it I walked out and aimlessly walked about.



Evening I ate dinner with a couple of friends at our go-to place while watching the Yankees play the Red Sox at Fenway. Yankees crushed them in double digits. It was supposedly my farewell dinner before I was back to college. But farewell was a word I hated. Made everything seem more sad. It was more of a celebration. Cheers for a good summer, or something like that. 


Came home, sleepy and dazed. Then it hit me that it was me who had to move back to college. No more of this city-that-never sleeps vibe. Everyone else stayed put. 
Non-alcohol beer. 

Writing this on a three AM tired and sleepy and mind slightly blank. Tongue still has the aftertaste of beer. Computer screen way too bright for my eyes. I lower the contrast. Today was the barmaid's birthday. Never knew that. Never knew that she was a mother, too. Laughing at the fun times with the friends. See you in December, we said. I'm coughing. Need water. Gulp down. Feeling better. Obnoxious roar of the AC motors from other buildings hindering peaceful quietness. I shut off computer, bury myself in sheets, sleep envelopes more naturally than usual. good night.



No comments: