tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Monday, August 26, 2013

Sophomore year debut

First day of classes and I'm already disliking this commuting-dorm life. It was a cloudy morning, the sun covered from the mundane and ominous grey rain clouds. Yesterday my roommate requested that I go with him to the main campus since we had classes relatively at the same time and because he hadn't the slightest iota how to get there. I decided we head out around 8 am. 

And so it's around 7:45 and we went and had breakfast before we left, and there I met his other friend. Of course, from China as well. 

The three of us plopped down on the seats and munched away. I had a bagel with cream cheese, my roommate, again, had some raw toast, and his friend a caesar salad. Very random combination. Not a word would loom across the table. It was a quiet, awkward moment. Even if I'd yap out something in English they wouldn't understand me if not barely. I could blurt out some sentences I've learned in Chinese class but I'd only make a fool of myself and it would go nowhere. My roommate after a while was, again, already finished with his toast before us. Not even his friend talked to him; there he was wolfing down his salad with an unpleasant frown on his face. As if there was something missing in his salad. I was beginning to question their friendship and how they really got along.

Eventually my roommate's friend blurted out something in Chinese to him and he spoke to me in english shortly after saying that he needed to get something. Thus he left. It was down to my roommate and I. 

I finished my bagel and my roommate asked if we could go back to the room to grab his jacket. Sure, I said, since I also needed to grab my rain jacket. We headed out and just before I opened the door outside, he said that his friend was going to drive him to the main campus so bye. I was like what, ok then. 

So that's what his friend needed to get. His freaking car. 

Why didn't my roommate tell me that earlier?

They're so awkward. 


Now there I was in the crowded bus full of students. I plugged in my ears with music and gazed at the passing suburban scenery. 

A car or a bicycle and life would be so much easier, I thought.

Once I arrived, I headed to my first class. Outside of the lecture doors were a horde of students waiting. I was a good 15 minutes early. 15 minutes later another horde of students exited from the lecture halls from the previous class. Nearly took five full minutes just to let them all out. 

And there I was in my seat. A typical lecture. Nothing out of the ordinary. 


But then came the math class. I've read about the professor on ratemyprof and according to past students, this guy was not good. But I figured that people only posted on that thing if they're really good or really bad. Instead of swapping math classes for a different professor, I thought why not give it a shot. But minutes in and I already wasn't feeling this guy. 

His phone rang twice during class. Handwriting nearly illegible. Seems like he's making the material harder than it really was, made a typo on a problem and after a student corrected him, he responded with, 'i'm not responsible with numbers, i hate numbers too.' 

um what?! 

You're a damn math professor for god sakes. 

Now he wasn't old. He was the type of guy you would meet at a bar. Overall it seemed that he had a idgaf attitude. Which doesn't really account for a decent professor. 

Now I'm thinking about dropping. But then again should I just bear with it? 


I got out and realized I had a good hour before my last evening lecture. Had nowhere to really go. Nobody to really talk to, yet. First time I was at a school with nearly 20,000 people so it was a difficult adjustment for me. Felt like a little fish in the deep ocean. I chilled in the lounge and went over my schedule, planner, and checked my phone. The time where I wish I brought some sort of book. Around me were groups of students eating together, some in their frat and sorority shirts. I was bored. I really was. 

It's really hard.

Getting used to a new place full of new people and new surroundings. 

But I try to stay positive as much as possible. 


I had dinner alone at the dining hall in one of the residence halls on campus by my lonesome. A salad, pasta with marinara sauce and fries on the side. Dessert? Cantaloupe and honeydew melons. Those were the only fruits they had. I stared at the vacant seat across from me for the longest time. Nobody was sitting there. 

I waited for the bus after. Night time. It was pouring, heavily. Got wet, but luckily I had my blue raincoat with me. Bus came, and I sat down in the back, squeezed amongst other students. Terrible day for commuting. Bus lights dimmed. Outside barely visible from the droplets of water. Monotonous motors running. I closed my eyes. At the time that was the only thing I could do. Commuting-dorm life ain't so convenient. 

It was around 8:30 when I came back and my roommate was already asleep. 



No comments: