tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Spring Weather and all

Appreciation of the spring weather. Cred to BabyTing
Spring has finally arrived, as the weather today reached a beautiful 61 degrees with not a cloud on the sky. Sprawled out on the campus field were students playing frisbee and catch. In the softball field a casual game going on. This beautiful day seemed to uplift everybody's moods-- mine sure did. The campus was lively during the afternoon. I've never seen this many students playing catch on the fields. This was probably the nicest weather this university has had since last August.

For me it was a moment of leaving aside the stack full of work I had and cherishing the wonderful weather.


However during the night it was all about the library, which became the bane of my existence. My baby Ting keeps me motivated. One night I come back around midnight and catch my roommate sleeping with the lights off.

"What's up," he says.
"Didn't mean to wake you up."
"It's okay I wasn't sleeping I just..." a lull falls. "Turned off the light."
"So you were just..."
"Yeah"
"You just turned off the light and.."
"Yeah"
"You just.. Yeah."
"Yeap." 

Ice cream for both her and I
In other words he couldn't find the right explanation for preparing-to-sleep. But it was alright since both of us knew what he was trying to say... I think.  An international student, his name means 'star' in Korean. He served in the military, as all men are required to for two years before they reach the age of 30, and published several novels. An organized twenty-something global studies major, he is almost always prompt and to the point. In his world there are no maybe's and I-will-try. He'd always show up at 1:30 sharp and not 1:31. He'd always respond to texts within seconds.


During one of my journalism classes the professor mentions the visual reactions we tend to have when deciding on certain objects. How we see things alter when we see them another way. The most simplest of examples is trying on clothes before we buy them. How we see them on ourselves can be different from how we initially see them, hung on the clothes rack on display. Same thing with objects like, say, pens. If you really cannot decide between the two, hold them up in front of the mirror one by one, and then you will immediately know which one suits you, he says.

That is certainly interesting.

My Japanese professor the other day asked me after I handed in a test,
"Sean, do you want natto?"
For those who do not know, natto are fermented soybeans, generally eaten on top of rice in Japan. Many people, including the Japanese, have a distaste for it due to its distinct odor and stickiness. But I've always thought it was delicious and had no problem eating it.
"Natto?" I asked.
"Yes, natto. My friend who makes natto gave me a huge box full of them the other day. One packet is sold for 3.50$, if you're interested. You have a roommate?"
"I do," I said.
"Well I'm not too sure then," she laughed.

I wasn't too sure either.

No comments: