tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Water and Seltzer


"You know what I hate?" he says, after he takes a sip of seltzer.

"What?" I say.

"When you think what you're about to drink is not what you expected it to be."

I nod a few times.

"I thought this was Sprite," he continues. "but it turned out that it was seltzer."

"What's wrong with that feeling?" I blurt.

"Well, before you drink the glass, you get all excited for that sugary, lemon taste, but when you drink it and realize that it's just bland, tasteless, carbonated water, you feel weird because it's just... water, you know?"

I kind of knew what he was saying. "So like mistaking water for shochu?" I tried to stick with the conversation.

"That's another example!" he says. "Although I've never had any shochu so I can't tell the exact feeling."

"Or what about apple juice and p--"

"I don't think that's the best way to go," he says.

No comments: