tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Sunday, October 7, 2012

on the way back

       I was in the train, gazing at the passing scenery while listening to the spontaneous shuffle of songs on my ipod. Trees and houses swishing by every minute as the cars in the highway were moving at a tad slower speed than the train. A paperback was resting in my lap, the pen stabbed between the pages where I left off. In the train were other passengers-- parents with their children, elderly ones intently going over the paper, among others.

       I got off the train and walked to the bus station. Going back to campus required me to make multiple transfers. I sat down under the shelter. A chilly evening it was, as the ghastly wind roamed around and hugged my body. The sky was getting darker by the minute. The orange-lit mercury vapor lamp was faintly beaming down over me. I flipped open the paperback, trying to get some reading done but the cold made me unable to even skim over a sentence. I dug my hands in the pockets of my varsity jacket and leaned back against the bench while pumping my legs up and down, trying to keep myself warm.

       The bus came shortly-- a motor coach that took me back to campus. While in my seat, the sky was already dark. Compared to the city this was a small town. Not a lot of cars, not a lot of people. I'd see restaurants, drug stores, and large department stores. Then some minutes, after the bus made a couple twists and turns, I saw nothing but trees, bushes, and suburban houses. Amid darkness, all I saw was my reflection. What a difference, I thought, as I sat back and continued to engage in music world.

No comments: