tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Monday, February 4, 2013

College Life 8

Superbowl Sunday and I go strolling with the female suite mates, my suite mate tagging along. I had on my touristy San Francisco hoodie just for the hell of it. We leisurely ventured to town and shopped at a local mall. I bought a carton of OJ, cereal, two cups of soup, and a mug for whenever I drink tea at their place.

We came back just in time to watch the halftime show. Beyonce taking over the stage as she reunites with Destiny's Child. Memories. 

I stayed in their room until 2 am. As I was slowly on my way back to my suite, I looked up towards the sky and took note of the many stars silently sitting atop the dark, hushed sky. Clouds were invisible at this point and the moon was unnoticeable. I kicked a rock that was on the path and it skipped against the ground, leaving a lonely clutter sound. Nothing's perfect, I said in my mind. 

Nothing is damn perfect. 

I didn't mean to say it aloud, nor did I know why these words happened to escape out of me at this point, but I just happened to. A few late night smokers were loitering around the dorms but they didn't seem to hear it. 

Life ain't meant to be that way. Everyday is a challenge. 

More and more words kept on coming into my mind. Reasons unknown. Perhaps there was a hint of wisdom in me that night. Or something else. The feeling of loneliness after being with your friends for hours. An afterglow almost, as portions of good moments and conversations come back in your mind for the duration of the night and possibly even the days ahead. 

The interior decorations and the scent of the hallways, compared to the dorm I was in with them, dropped significantly in cleanliness and decency once I stepped in. The place I was staying probably had the most flaws and was in need of the most work orders in the entire college. Some of our bathroom lights have gone out, the toilet door didn't lock, the toilet didn't flush as well, one of the faucets tended to leak, there was an unknown outlet revealing its many intricate wires, there were gaping holes here and there, and the overall atmosphere was just plain depressing. I unlocked my door and saw my roommate fast asleep. I took a quick shower and resumed to study for a quiz in the common room while nibbling on Life cereal. 

Nothing is damn perfect.

That's Life


8:30 am class the next day and I get out of my bed at 8:05. Exhausted, I went to the john, washed my face, and chugged some water. I pull on a plain navy thermal shirt and a polo scarf. On top of that my usual jacket. I slip on my Skechers and a khaki-colored pair of jeans. An ordinary attire yet still noticeable in its own way. 

The lecture hall's interior decorations, chairs, tables, and walls were all utilitarian. Suffering from boredom, I glanced at my watch and followed the seconds hand ticking away time no less than a blink of an eye. A watch was a device you could look at to momentarily take yourself away from reality and into a perpetual dimension. Time never stopped and that made me a little more conscious. 

And just like that time passed by. 

I start to hum a Sinatra's tune


That's Life~




No comments: