tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Great Sandwich Chef

My mornings are usually spent at the campus deli with my suite mate. While we both watch Robin Meade give us the latest headlines on TV, we wolf down our food. What ever happened to Good Morning America, I tend to think to myself.


One afternoon I headed to the campus deli for a sandwich as per usual. I skipped lunch due to a class that pretty much conflicts with the lunchtime hours. The time the class ends and right before TKD club is slated for a quick lunch. I go to the sandwich bar and the chef immediately admired my smile. Now as I see it these chefs usually work with sheer ennui and usually the process goes as follows:
"Roast beef on sub," I say.
They would nod. "Cheese?"
"Swiss please. Can I get it toasted too?"
They would do so.
"What else," they would say.
"Lettuce," I say.
"What else."
"Tomato, onions, salt&pepper, mayo. That's it."
They wrap the sandwich and hand it to me.

But this time it went differently. Much different. One chef took my order.

"You have a very nice smile," he said, with his slight Spanish accent.
"Thanks!" I said.
"What nationality are you?" He kindly asked.
"Japanese," I replied.
He made an envious gesture as if Japanese was the greatest nationality ever known. His entire face brimming with elation and he sighed as if I was his noble savior.
"I love Japanese things, its culture." he said.
I nodded in agreement.
"Konnichiwa and Arigatougozaimasu," he continued. "That's all I got."
"Not bad," I snickered.
"Films," he went on, placed his hand on his heart and sighed. "Oh my god. The Geisha one..."
"Memoirs of a Geisha," I filled in.
"YES! Oh I love that. And the Last Samurai. Wata..."
"Ken Watanabe is great," I helped him again.
"YES!!"
"This is the happiest day in my life," he said.
A bit nonplussed and delighted at the same time, I said, "I'm glad."
He laughed in good spirits.
Right then I felt like a celebrity. Would you like me to sign your apron? I thought to myself.
He carefully built my sandwich in perfect form and I gotta admit it was the best sandwich I've had in a while at this campus. The chef also brought me in good spirits. Turned this typical, monotonous, mundane Monday into a good one. Thank you!!

No comments: