tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Saturday, January 11, 2014

mid winter break

The temperature rises up to the mid 50s but the rainy weather makes the day all the more depressing. It rained all day. I dutifully took two taekwondo classes to work up the sweat, came home, showered, read a few pages of a book, and went on a neighborhood stroll. Throughout the entire day, I've been having a mild headache which felt rather unpleasant, and I still have it. Probably due to the sudden rigorous workout from tkd or the drastic rise of the temperature.


You know how people come home from college and see their old friends whether it be from the people they hung out with in high school or the people they knew since childhood? Well, after thinking about it for the longest time while ensconced on my desk chair, I came to figure out that I don't really have anyone to see. I didn't have the contact numbers from the people I knew from high school, and even if I did, they barely knew me enough to hang out. Coming back to your home city should generally be a great feeling, but in my case, besides the ambiance of my hometown, being home, and my mother, there was really nothing else.

"You don't have any friends from high school?" one person asked. "They are usually the people you are friends with for the rest of your life. How do you live? Do you have any friends at all?"

Well, to answer that guy's question, I know a few friends from taekwondo and some old friends outside of high school. Even if I went to my high school reunion, which hasn't really happened yet, I'd probably have a longer chat session with my past teachers than with my classmates. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't a teacher's pet. I just somehow didn't really get along that well with my classmates. But they were extremely nice students, decent was not even the word. Amongst the liberal intelligentsia, it was a very safe environment and bullying never once occurred. Or maybe it was me since I didn't really motivate myself to go out there and join clubs and commit to that many activities back then. Senior year nobody asked me to sign their yearbook and, feeling dejected, nobody signed mine either. When one of them saw me walking down the street I'm sure they wouldn't recognize me.

I guess that's just how it went.

But each year when I look back at the regretful things I've done in the past, I slowly learn from them and sometimes have the nagging urge to say "what the hell was I thinking" or "why in the world did I do that".

So why in the world did I not make legitimate friends in high school?

Anyway enough of my rocky high school life.

Today I got an email from my college notifying me that I have a new roommate. As frequent blogger readers of mine know, I've had bad luck with roommates. I have yet to have one that I dorm with for the entire year. Last time in my previous college my roommate transfered after the fall and this year my roommate left without a word in the fall. Meanwhile I see freshmen rooming with the people of their choice. Jealous. Hopefully my new roommate will be nice and understanding.

Then again I had a friend who also lived in the same quad and around the end of the fall semester, we were discussing about whether or not we should room together since his roommate also left. But laziness took over us, and he also got an email with information about his new roommate. Fail.

In a few days I'm headed to the west coast to train amongst taekwondo athletes from prestigious universities. In order to prepare, I'm slowly working out, building my stamina, and body strength. I ran outside for a full hour in a steady pace.

More and more I've been missing my girlfriend as she is out of town. I wish she was right here with me.






No comments: