tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Monday, December 8, 2014

What if...

I woke up from my vibrating cellphone on my desk. I yawned and stretched out my arms. I looked at the alarm clock and it read 10:12 am. This was no good sign. I rushed to my desk and picked up the phone.

"Sorry," I said. "Honestly I just woke up. I'm sorry."

"Ugh," she said. "Are you fucking kidding me?"

I was supposed to meet my friend Melon at the campus center at ten. I set my alarm on but somehow it didn't ring. Melon would never believe me if I told that to her so I admittedly blew it right there.

"Say do you like cake?" I asked.

"Why."

"Hey this is totally my fault. I won't be late again."

She breathed a long sigh. It took her a good few seconds before she said anything.

"I'll be here. You owe me."

"Surely," I hung up.

I rushed to take a long piss, brushed my teeth, washed my face, and changed into the first pair of jeans and button-down shirt I could find. After applying a dash of cologne, I threw on my wool coat and ran outside. The weather was a windy one, around the low 30s. The shuttle bus to campus had just left. Bits and remnants of snow were piled on the ground. Patches of grey clouds floated in the sky, the sun not entirely visible. I sniffed the subtle scent of rain.

I made a quick stop at the campus deli and bought a slice of chocolate cake and a cup of coffee. I ran to where she was sitting. She chose a pretty secluded spot, sitting at the sofas in the lounge. The warm, cozy atmosphere made me want to stay in here for a good while.

"Here," I said, giving her the chocolate cake.

"What's this?"

"Thought it would make up for my lateness, kind of. I mean, I just wanted to give you something. I feel really terrible."

"No shit," she glanced at the cake. "I don't want this crap."

"I'm sorry."

"I don't need this, take it back. That's not the point I'm trying to make. When you're late, you're late. You can't change that. Cake won't make up for it. Don't try to make things better. When things have been done, they're done. Nada. Move on. You learn your lesson and get on with it."

I adjusted the clip on my watch from sheer impulse. "I suppose so."

I took a sip of my coffee, maintaing my composure. Next to us was a happy couple laughing together at something on the guy's phone. I was literally at a loss for words for a split second. Somehow my mind stopped fully functioning and my sentences and thoughts jumbled and decreased in proficiency.

All the while I took a glance at her attire which was stylish as usual. Her skinny black jeans complemented perfectly with her blue flannel. Her pearl earrings added charm and her silver watch glimmered and added nuance to her overall look. Her make-up game was on-point, and her silky black hair was tied into a bun.

"You alright?" she asked.

"I'm good. I'm just pissed off at myself."

"Just don't make the same mistake again," she said. "You freaking lazy ass. You aren't usually like this. You're usually calm, cool, and collected. Prompt and badass. You could literally fly swiftly in the air with your crazy taekwondo aero kicks and you've got a sense of style. Just learn your lesson and continue to be the person you really are."

"What is this quasi-Oprah prose. But hey, thanks."






No comments: