tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Sunday, January 31, 2016

To Home: A Story

The light chill sweeps the air as the days get colder. Though recently the weather is not so terrible over here. I heard the city was hit with a massive blizzard a few days ago. I trust you are well.


Under the dim light, Tadao wrote these words in his notebook, addressed to his father. Together with his friend, Asami, they were the only ones riding the bus. Tadao looked out the window but could only see his reflection and raindrops here and there. In the countryside there was nothing much to see but plain trees and bushes. Asami sat next to him, her head leaning against his shoulder. Surrounding them were empty, plain seats. The air was moist, even inside the bus, and there was the scent of leather. The engine monotonously roared. The two of them listened to the tires roll across the wet tarmac below, and the rain lightly hitting against the window.

"The rain's coming down hard," Asami said.

"It is," Tadao said, staring at his reflection.

"Did you finish writing?"

"Not yet," he said. He wrapped his arm around her. "Go back to sleep."

"I wasn't sleeping," she said. "I can't sleep here."

The bus stopped at the traffic light, and there was a brief silence. The blur from the rain hindered Tadao from looking at the passing scenery, but something bright pulled up near the window. Tadao knew that it must be another car's headlights.

"Will you be able to sleep when we get back?" he asked.

She leaned back against his shoulder. "Just finish writing."

"But I cannot write here, either," he said. "There's something about writing in the rain. I cannot do it."

"Why not?"

Right there, Tadao shut his notebook and shoved it in his coat pocket. Asami sat up. The dim light sparkled her dark, wondrous pupils, and spotlighted her wine-red lips and pale skin. Her hair was tied into a ponytail, each strand as graceful as a stream in a waterfall.

"Don't worry about it," he said. "I'll finish it eventually."

"You told me that yesterday. Don't slack off. I don't like it when you slack off."

Tadao reached for her hand and held it. "I'll finish it. I'll finish it, okay? Can you trust me?"

"I don't know," she said. "I think so."

The bus began to move and soon it was reaching an incline, as they were heading up a hill. Bumps here and there.

"What time is it?" Asami said.

Tadao checked his wrist but realized he wasn't wearing a watch.

"Don't you have a phone, Tadao?"

"I'm afraid I don't. Don't you?"

"I didn't bring it with me," she said. "Why don't you have one?"

"It's at home. I figured I didn't need to talk to anyone."

The bus was back in flat terrain. The driver continued to drive away. Outside, blurred neon-lights from diners and stores swished by.

"Tadao," she linked her arm around his. "Do you enjoy the rain?"

"I can't say I do," he said. "But I do love watching rain indoors. Don't you?"

"I do too. It's calming."

"I guess so," he looked back out the window.

"What are we going to have for dinner?"

"I will figure it out, don't worry."

She rested her head back on his shoulder, but Tadao could not tell if she was closing her eyes. The rain failed to abate, but the dim light continued to shine both of them. At the time Tadao felt as if she and him could be here forever. But nothing ever was. A waft of Asami's woody fragrance lingered around him. For a while they rode the bus in silence. Tadao wrapped his arm around her.


"Asami," he said, rubbing her arm. "We're almost here. Wake up."

She rubbed her eyes, moaned silently, and looked at Tadao. No matter what situation, Asami always seemed pretty to him.

"I don't want to get off," she said.

"What?"

"Let's continue to ride the bus, Tadao," she said. "Until the last stop."

Tadao had his hands on the bell to request for stop. "Then we won't be able to go home."

"It's okay," she said. "We can go to the end of the stop."

"What are we going to do when we get off there?" Tadao said. "There's nothing. Stop being silly and let's go."

But the bus was already making its way past the bus station. Tadao sighed, but he couldn't get angry at her. He could only love her, and love her dearly. Tadao stared at her, gripping her hand tightly. Asami frowned. Tadao sat back down with her.

"Why don't you want to get off? Because it's raining?"

Asami shook her head. "I just don't want to leave. Isn't there a time when you don't want to leave a place? How there's something about a place where you can't just come and go?"

Tadao thought about it hard, but couldn't quite grasp what she meant.

"Let's ride the bus till the end then," he said. "There's nothing we can do anymore. And it's meaningless to get off in between."

"We can if you want."

"We're going to stay here." 

"So we're gonna ride until the last stop?"

"Yes, we are."

Asami nodded, and leaned her head back against his shoulder. The bus continued its journey to the end of the road. Tadao closed his eyes, but couldn't sleep. He took off his jacket, wrapped it around her, and looked out the window again. He was craving a cigarette. From his pocket, he took out his rusty keys and fiddled with it. He looked down and saw Asami's faded black converse, both pairs together pointing straight. Next to Tadao's tennis shoes, they looked miniature. The bus continued to run, and the night continued to progress. While following the raindrops twiddle down along the window, he thought of a dream he had. 

No comments: