tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Describe you college life, Seany part 2.


       I thought that the hours passed by every second as I am eating at the dining hall alone. Around me students are eating their food, some with a group, some as a couple, and some just alone. I am sitting with my salad and a glass of apple juice on the rocks. As nobody else really ate at the corresponding time as me, I am usually alone when eating dinner. Solitary as I am, I grab the solitary silverware, stab a solitary tomato and chew it while staring at the solitary chair in front of me. 

       I glance at my watch and it is half past 10 in the evening. Staff are cleaning the vacant tables and chairs. Munching on my salad I think about this small campus and how it exposes me from the urban life. Trees, grass, fields, rich-looking houses adjacent to the campus. Although the college is a couple miles away from a small town, it still does not compare to the city that never sleeps. 

       I was eating with an international student one day at the campus Starbucks. 
       "There really isn't anything to do in this campus," she said.
       I nodded in agreement. "The college is constructed in a way that only lets students study… and nothing else."
       "I really like the city."
       "I do too."
       She took a sip of her coffee as I sat there recollecting the city's rush paced environment. 


       My half-eaten salad is on the table. More and more students are starting to disappear from the food court. Right then, at a random moment, I think about the summer. Playing until the late night in the town where I called my home. Though that time has passed and it was time to look forward. 

       I decide that I could not eat. Though I feel that I need a light snack. I grab a bag of chips from the court and pay the cashier. Shortly I feel a weak tap on my shoulder behind me, a tap that lacked confidence. 

       "Hi," the girl says. 
       The face is a familiar one. "How's tricks?"
       In her hand is a sandwich and a cup of fountain soda. "Ehh, nothing. What are you up to?"
       "Nothing in particular."
       "Lame," she says with a smirk. "Eat with me you lazy bum."
       She stares at my bag of chips. "What the heck that's your dinner?"
       "I ate already," I say. 
       "Well too bad. You're still accompanying me."
       Aside from us, there is nobody who eats this late. Perhaps we are known as the late night feasters. I direct her to a table, a different one from where I sat. She is wearing an oversized gray hoodie with Adidas gym shorts. Her hair is tied back into a ponytail. We sit down at a table as she immediately starts to munch down her ham sandwich at a rapid pace.
       "Hungry?"
       "Skipped lunch," she says as she continues to eat away.
       I never saw a girl eat this fast before, I say in my mind as I stare at her.
       She wipes her mouth with a napkin and takes a sip from her fountain soda. "Hey," she says out of the blue. "If you were a bird where would you fly first?"
       I widen my eyes in wonder. "What?"
       "If you were a bird and had the ability to fly, where would you go first?"
       I really don't know yet she stares at me as if expecting an answer. Facing the inevitable, I say,
       "I would fly around the city and enjoy viewing the skyline as if I was the king of the world."
       "Lame!" she blurts.
       "Where would you go, huh?"
       With her sandwich in her  hand, she says, "I would go beyond the city and fly as far away as possible, up and away from the world. Join the stars as I stare at Earth as if I was the princess of the world. You aren't the king no more are you?"
       She giggles. I smile as I think to myself how there are so many creative people here. 



No comments: