tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Saturday, February 1, 2014

Bowling, Chinese New Year

Chinese New Year winds its way forth as many head back home to celebrate. My girlfriend sends me videos of the parade and everything and it makes me want to be there. I've always wanted to pop those pyrotechnics in the street while taking in the crackling sounds it produces, kick back and enjoy the show. All my life I wanted to do that. It's amazing how we grow up with different pastimes.

Classes I attend mostly want to make me fall asleep. My friend and I are still figuring out how we could room together. Not that there is a problem with our current new roommates; just we feel it would be nice we if we could.

From now on once a week I am expected to teach a taekwondo class. Curriculum is mostly made up on the fly but somehow I'm able to manage it.

I spend the night at my dorm, for the fourth time so far this semester, and listen to the rendition of Butterfly Lovers. A lovely piece that somehow makes me feel nostalgic.

On a Friday night, two of my friends and I decide to eat at a local, family-owned Chinese restaurant and then head straight towards the bowling center, which is conveniently a few blocks away from the dorm. One of the few advantages of living off-campus in a suburban town is the fact that you do not feel as if you are stuck on campus; rather, you have the chance to get to see more of the real world and the neighborhood stores and amenities around.

The bowling center is the only brightly-lit place around us. A little walk away and there are a row of unoccupied houses and nothing but darkness. Very few cars and very few people. A fantastic area to shoot the next Paranormal Activity movie.

Both friends are international students, one of them leaves to serve the military for two years in Korea after this semester. Which means by the time he comes back to finish his studies, I'd already graduate.

"I'm just worried a little bit," he said, since there might not be anyone he knows when he comes back.

Eventually he beats me by two points in bowling, my other friend pulls off a turkey. And what are my web-gem highlights?

I'll make do with my few strikes and spares. 






No comments: