tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Friday, February 7, 2014

Moving, Olympics

It was a busy week, I say to myself while attending a lecture for a politics class amongst students scrolling through their twitter feeds on their laptops and taking naps. Biggest news is the fact that I moved to another room. This time all the way across another hall. My new roommate along with my other friend helped me move my stuff. The hardest thing to move was no doubt the microfridge, which we spent almost thirty minutes thinking of a way to carry it.

We attached our belts around the cart and the fridge and did our best to lift it going downstairs and upstairs. 

All the time I thought to myself how much stuff I had brought from home. I definitely had too much stuff. But in about 4 hours after unpacking, organizing, and throwing out, I managed to finish and settle. My previous room was empty as ever. My new room on the other hand was nice as ever. There was an extra large window next to my desk, an upgrade from my previous room. 

I moved during the one snow day the university had declared. Some good and bad things about that. If it wasn't a snow day I wouldn't have gotten help from friends since they would be in class. But the snowy conditions made the move a bit harder.


The Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia began yesterday. I consulted friends but shockingly none of them seemed to be interested in it. Nobody seemed to care. I felt like I was the only one who actually wanted to see some of the events of the Olympics.

I especially like to watch figure skating and short track speed skating. Both are riveting and exciting. I still remember the rivalries between Yuna Kim and Mao Asada, as well as the controversial race between the skillful Korean short track athletes versus Apolo Ohno back in 2002. Some years ago I still remember watching Ohno skate against the two South Korean skaters Viktor Ahn and Lee Ho-Suk.

But the weekend winds its way down as the remnant snow still covers the ground. A lot of catching up on work and some organization to do.

Every Thursday is the day my peer and I teach taekwondo class for a full 120 minutes. But for some reason teaching was a skill that I was not really acquainted with. I had some specific drills and activities in mind but somehow they seem to not go as planned, or, perhaps might have be a little too difficult for the club members. Either way my drills always doesn't seem to go smoothly. I don't know if was the way I taught or just the way the club was.

But that's that.

 






No comments: