tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Monday, March 24, 2014

New novel work in progress

Sean K--- is a college student who wrote his first debut novella, "Punctured Japan" (2011), which received widespread attention from faculty and students at his very own high school. Three years later, he begins to write another written piece, "The Winding Road to the Timid Moon" (Title still pending), as he had a chance to sit down with us and answer a few questions on writing, as well as details about his new novella. 

Please describe your new piece.

It's not an extraordinary magnum opus novel, I can tell you that. It's quite different from what I've done before because the chapters are really cut up and each of them takes place at a different location. Time travels really fast in this story and I feel there are certain cases where it is hard to follow.

What is the story about?

There is not really a hard plot to the story (laughs). Originally I did not intent to write a long story. Most of the chapters were intended to be short stories if not they were abandoned opening-liners of stories I thought of in the past but got stuck after. So it's also okay to think of this story as a collection of opening paragraphs to stories I thought of earlier in the past. But the ideal story, in a general sense, is about a twenty-something college student trying to get accustomed to the transition from the carefree student to the sharp, responsible adult. In the process he stumbles upon surreal happenings, as he begins to feel the difficulties of managing a life so grand and spontaneous.

Did you have any difficulty with the process of writing this story?

I get diagnosed with writer's block pretty frequently so yes, I have stumbled and gotten stuck several times. I mean the story is still unfinished and I'm running out of ideas. It's a process that writers tend to have.

What do you think is the best way to improve on one's writing?

Based on the standpoint of a college student who is passionate about writing, just write everyday. Keep a journal or a blog and just write whatever pops up into your mind. Jot down new words you discover, read books as much as possible, and write write write.

Time management plays a huge factor for you in writing this piece.

It certainly does. And it doesn't only allude to this but also for everything else. Usually due to the workload from my classes I have little to no time to work on my story. But if I got the time, I'll be writing.

What inspired you to write this story?

Nothing really. Ideas just surge into my mind, and I jot them down at certain times throughout the day. When I get a rough sense of a story I begin to write.

What is something that really impresses you?

I have to say individuals who continue to have a passion for something. People who do not lose interest in things, and keep doing what they are doing.


No comments: