tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Thursday, May 15, 2014

A Brief Chat with the Senior Instructor at University's Taekwondo Club

For one of my final papers for journalism, I wrote about the university's taekwondo club. Unfortunately, due to timing, one of my interviewees wrote to me after the deadline. To not put his efforts to waste, I've decided to recycle his answers here. 

Robert Kimmins is a third-degree black belt and senior instructor at the university's taekwondo club. He has been practicing the martial art for 8.5 years. He was greatly willing to answer a few questions regarding his taekwondo career. 


Why did you decide to practice taekwondo? What does it mean to you?



I decided to practice TKD at first as a hobby, but it grew into a passion over the years. It means the world to me, so hard to put into one little answer. Life without TKD is a dull one, and it is something I will be doing for a long time to come. And not just because I'm somewhat obligated to seeing as my shoulder is tattooed with a big symbol of TKD.

What do you enjoy about the club? What have you learned?
I love the atmosphere of the club. Compared to a traditional TKD school like mine back home, it is more laid-back yet still promotes a respectful, team-focused, helping environment. I've learned more about how to teach students in different ways as well as a tremendous amount of info about sparring I didn't know before coming to the club.
How did you feel when you first got your black belt?
I felt like a kid on Christmas when I got my first black belt! The feeling of accomplishment manifested in a physical form is just indescribably amazing.
As a senior, what is your takeaway from this club. Any particular memorable moments?
My takeaway from the club is certainly too large to put into words, but I'd say memories. One moment that stands out to me was in my Freshman year. Another student fell and twisted her ankle, so Master Fahrenkopf came right over, scooped her up, and just continued teaching without any hesitation. I think he was holding her while he was teaching (laughs).
Please describe a little about your demonstration team
The Demo Team was my idea to bring a new element to the club for members in whom I saw potential. It's purpose is multiple: it allows me to help a select amount of students to advance and expand their talent in ways not normally practiced, it allows for the club to gain some good publicity, and it's just downright fun! The nice thing about having a demo team is that it pushes each member of the team towards being perfectionists, which in turn (I have noticed) pushes them to aspire to greater levels in their normal training.


No comments: