tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Friday, May 9, 2014

Finals Week and the Accumulating Work

"You can't get what you want unless you ask for it," were the words my journalism professor left to the class. And it's true. For me, personally, they mean a lot. Nothing is going to happen if you don't let someone know.

Because if you're standing still, you're already falling behind, says the president of the university.


Recently got a not-so-good haircut and I am kind of lamenting it.

About a week ago B and I attended a foam party, then we attended a taekwondo party the following night. On the way the cab driver was wearing a taekwondo dobok. One of the peculiar happenings.

The semester is winding down. B recently went home to bring some of her stuff back home. Even though she is only gone for a day, the feeling of helping her lug her oversized black portmanteau and seeing her get on the motor coach made me feel a bit sad. She's leaving but at the same time she's not.

Lost the taekwondo e-board elections, but there's always next year. Second time in a row that I was not able to claim the position as vice president. My speech was alright, made a few laugh, but it seems that the club sees the other candidate, in other words, the incumbent, as more fitting. Can't blame anyone.

But hey, I guess he is the Chuck Rangel of the taekwondo club.

Moreover one of the senior instructors recently taught his last class, and intents to pass the torch to myself and my other taekwondo colleague. Next year we are both going to not only be teaching most of the class, but also writing down the curriculum for promotional testing and facilitating them. Some huge responsibility ahead.

Finals are near but not quite. I feel like a rocket ship that is about to lift off. That feeling before you start something. That knowing pressure. I've gotten the review sheets and the descriptions, and now it's just all about time management and study.

Lately I haven't seen my roommate for weeks. I sleepover at Bs on campus, and my roommate's girlfriend sleeps at his place. There's this symbiotic mutualism where we both are happy.

Thinking back about the school year, I realized that I haven't met my goals that I've developed since the beginning of the school year. I had a lot of opportunities but I guess I just didn't have the right incentive. I had the opportunity to write and become a staff writer for the school newspaper and involve myself more in the Japanese Student Association. I had the chance to join more clubs. I need to build up my resume. I need to join more activities.


No comments: