tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Monday, April 27, 2015

The Homestretch

Finals week is approaching. It's literally looming, sneaking its way over here. E-board elections for the Japanese Student Association is also approaching. Though I'm not sure if I really want to contribute with them. My suitemates are testing/equivalency testing for their black belts so that should be pretty exciting. The semiformal is also just around the corner. Slowly, the semester is coming to a close. 

Recently everything for me has been the same. Nothing new ever happens. They say that if you want things to change you have to do it yourself. And I did. This semester I've involved myself in a lot more activities. I danced, I wrote for the school paper, and met some new friends. More to come. 

The Japanese Student Association presented their annual "J-Night" Saturday, where students
showed a number of singing, dance and calligraphy performances. 
Change isn't always great. You have to change effectively. Being who you are and continuing to be who you are is what counts. That's what people appreciate each other for. If you change too much, there's no more familiarity. Memories get crushed, and you're seen as a different person. At the same time you won't feel comfortable. 

These days I've been spending time in the library during the nights. I can always study here. One there are other students studiously studying (try saying that three times fast) around me so that gives me a bit of a motivation. And two, because it's nice and quiet. Although they really need to fix that freaking front door because it always slams. And three, because I can't really focus at the dorm. I always get distracted because there's always something going on in the suite. My neighbor and his girlfriend often visit during the nighttime, my suitemates always talk about something loudly or blast out music, and my roommate always plays his video games on his computer like there's no tomorrow while mumbling some gaming-rhetoric to himself. I don't completely own the suite so I can't tell them to be quiet. And that's what they enjoy doing and I respect their space. They're all awesome guys, don't get me wrong. Everyone has some sort of imperfections. 

Recently I've been feeling that there's been a lot of gossip about me around the Asian circle. Sure the university is large, but that circle is close-knit and cliquey. News gets circulated around them exclusively, I feel. And it's pissing me off. I need to meet new people and start a new lifestyle. 




No comments: