tkd

tkd
1Q84 World. 5/2015

Thursday, October 23, 2014

The rain continued to fall. I had lost my umbrella and recently found out that I fractured my hand. At the dining hall we were having a nice cup of jasmine tea.

"Hope it gets better," she said.

"Put me on the DL."

"Shouldn't be that bad. I mean, at least it's your left hand."

"Very true," I said.

The rain and cloudy weather made everything seem so depressing and gloomy. Wet, dark, and cold. The worst possible combination all put together.

"How's your psychology going," I asked.

"Meh it's alright. Didn't ace the test but didn't fail."

"Subpar."

"Mediocre."

"What are we thesauruses?"

She laughed. "Speaking of which what are you up to in your writing?"

"Well I'm supposedly part of an investigative reporting team."

"Ooh for what?"

"I have to investigate this supposed Chinese cult and excavate some information about it."

"Hmm," she said. "A Chinese cult?"

"It may or may not be a cult," I took a sip of my tea. "We're still in the process of figuring out just what this organization is all about."

"Sounds fun but so time consuming."

"That's what reporting is all about," I said. "Gotta make relations and get to know people."

Her elbows were propped on the table and her palms were resting on her chin. She was staring at my every move.

"I contacted some experts regarding transportation on campus the other day for another report," I added. "Ended up attaining loads of info I never knew before."

"Like what?"

"Not telling."

"Ugh, you're such a pain. Why not?"

"What's the magic word?"

"Oh for god sakes, I feel like I'm talking to a five year old."

"Anyway."

"Anyway what? Are you going to tell me?"

"It'll be up in the school newspaper. Don't worry."

"Ugh, fine, whatever," she got up to get herself some fruits.

When she came back, she devoured her cantaloupes.

"But hey, reporting is actually a pretty fun experience," I said. "You don't know about a certain place until you parachute in and find out some information about it. You gotta be there to fully see the beauty, the aesthetics. Reportage is all about first-hand experiences."

She nodded. "Totally different from psychology. All I learn about is the science of the mind, to put it mildly."

"How I see it, as long as you put some effort into it, what you study will always be worth your time," I said.

"Even if they are so obscure?"

"Yeah. I mean alright it may not be of use to you at all, but it keeps you mind jogging and who knows? That information may be useful to you in the long run. You never can really tell. Life is full of unexpected happenings."

"I get it I get it."

"Wanna catch a movie?" I said.

"I'd love to but I have work to catch up on."

"Take a breather and kick back with a movie. I got you covered."

She thought about it. "What movie?"

"Don't know. You like horror?"

"5 seconds in and I'd be out of the theater."

"Even if I'm next to you?"

"Oh how are you going to protect me with just one hand?" she laughed.

"Hey, it's a minor injury."

She laughed, placing her hand on top of my right hand.




No comments: